Saturday, December 23, 2006

Does the fuzzy brain actually read the comments? Inquiring minds want to know. Also I have another topic for the brain. I read this in the paper this morning. It was a report on the Pope's year-end speech to the cardinals. "A secularized society that bases its decisions too much on reason and logic and leaves no room for faith "is not capable of entering into a true dialogue with religions."" I found this to be an interesting quote, but it's not my blog so I'm curious to hear the brain's thoughts on the matter.

The answer to the question is: of course I read the comments. I did not read the story to which you are referring, but I find nothing in the statement, that does not make sense (that is illogical). Essentially, all religion boils down to a matter of faith. One of the definitions of the word faith, according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary (definition 2b) is this: b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Most of the Nicene Creed which we recite at Mass, are things that cannot be proven. They are things in which you must believe, or in other words have faith in, in order to be a Catholic. If you solely believe in reason and logic, you would by definition, rule out religion.
James A.

No comments: